Wednesday 11 February 2015

The Drive-By

Week two of Sass's new school and she forgot her blazer.

She realised as I was dropping her and Elle off.

I thought she was going to cry. She had Assembly that day and had to have it.

Okay, I said. I'll go home and get it - wait outside the gate.

I drove home, found the blazer and drove back to school. It's about a 15 minute round trip which isn't bad except being late to class is almost as bad as not having your blazer.

I was both surprised and relieved to see Elle had stayed with Sass. In the interests of time and because the 16 year old was there, I checked the rear-vision mirror to ensure there were no cars behind me, put the driver-side window down and threw the blazer in their direction. It landed on the road. I had also checked for on-coming traffic. (See.... very responsible!)

Elle shot out and scooped it up before anything did appear to run it over.

Sort of like this - but bathers and blazers, not a banana skin!

It is a trap; working from home and being so close to school.

Here's what happened on another occasion.

Text from Elle: Mum, I forgot my bathers and I have swimming in PE. Can you bring them up at recess please? x
Me: Really?? I'm working... Oh okay. Can you stand out the front? x

I grabbed said bathers, drove up at the appointed time, lowered the window and threw them at her.

What?? No towel? She howled.

See, here's the problem with modern-day (ie brief) communication; I assumed she had everything but her bathers. As it so happened, she had nothing. Oh well.

Dry yourself with a sock! I offered, as I drove off.

She hasn't forgotten her bathers since.


1 comment:

JayBee said...

I wish I had used that sentence ' Dry yourself with a sock.' Best wishes for Sass at the new school.

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...