Thursday 25 October 2012

Organ Donor-ing

I was reminded by one of George's teachers that he told one of the blind kids at his school, “Damian, when I die you can have my eyes.”

He always was generous.

We were asked to consider organ donation for George in the States - specifically his kidneys -  and we agreed. Then after an assessment, they decided he was ineligible after all.

I almost wondered why they didn't start with the assessment... but I guess that may come across as being pushy.

Organ donation is a huge gift and one I'm sure George would have been proud to make.

For Australians, I am a supporter of 'opt out' rather than our current system of 'opt in' for organ donation.

So while it's top of mind, if you're not an organ donor and think you should be, jump on and register  here now.


If George could be that generous, we all can be.

George - at about 15


3 comments:

Samantha said...

Very important message to get out. I carry my donor card with me. Pity whoever gets my sense of direction though!

motherwhoworks said...

Thanks Kell. There rae more to come as I read through what people have written for his memory book too. It's great to have those reminders of things we may not have remembered right now - and of course we want to remember absolutely everything. Sxx

Kelly M said...

Thanks for sharing these lovely anecdotes about George. Such a selfless and generous boy Agree with you 100%. Opt-out would be even better.

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...