Friday 20 January 2012

The Trip - Part II

Firstly, sorry to the arachnaphobes and my friend Deb who reckons she nearly broke her iPad trying to splat that spider. But here’s where we were: this is the photo I took, I promise, not something I found on the web (ha ha ha!!!) as some (yes you Mandy) suggested.





And here’s what they look like fried and served with pepper sauce – far less impressive.



Ironically, on the kids' menu they had a dish called Impsy Wimpsy Spider – which was one fried tarantula with chips – I always though Impsy Wimpsy meant small?? We considered this option but at $US4.50 for the full serve of three, we thought what the heck and ordered up.

A family of Danes on the next table were quite jealous. They said they’d run out when they wanted to order them (which was curious given they were at the restaurant before us...) but, being Christmas Eve and feeling benevolent, we gave them one of ours.

We tucked into a few legs – E swears she had leg caught in her braces! – before the man on the family tackled the body (I caught it all on video). ‘What’s it taste like?’ we all asked. “Chicken!” he replied, and we all fell about laughing because of course everything foreign tastes like chicken. Trying to summons some courage, I looked and my legless body and convinced myself it was just like an olive. I popped it into my mouth, bit down on the leathery pouch that went ‘squish’ in my mouth….and I had to hastily remove it before I gagged. I know it was purely psychological, but that didn't help.

Another group of diners strolled past; an Aussie bloke with a baby on his hip (a symbol of his fertility) and a crowd of women. “What are they like? I wish I’d ordered them now,” he announced.
“Here!” we offered enthusiastically, “Have some of ours.”
He picked up a head (and eight eyes??) with a few legs and straight down the hatch, chewing with a look of consideration, then “Not bad”. How could he not with such an attractive audience willing him to love eating spider?

One of his party lent into our table, a beautiful Asian woman with an Australian accent – “I’m actually Cambodian, and I wouldn’t eat that!”

No more spiders from here on in....promise. MWWxx

1 comment:

Blackerj122 said...

Loving hearing of your adventures. I've been sleeping with them [ spiders that is] but not eating them. Ugggghhh!

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...