Friday 9 December 2011

Jimmy Barnes

We went to see Cold Chisel last night. I kept saying I was going to see Jimmy Barnes and my better half kept correcting me. But in my eyes, there is only Jimmy. I don't know what it is exactly, but he has enormous appeal. We were six rows from the front - I thought in danger of being spat on by Jimmy himself as he belted out his stuff, sweated on the very least - but no, it wasn't to be.

I've been in a room with Jimmy Barnes sat least three times (when I say 'room' I mean the Melbourne Town Hall, The Palladium at Crown and The Rod Laver Arena last night) and I'm sure you'll share my shock that he has yet to notice me. I was pretty sure we made eye contact last night - what with being that close to the front - but it was kind of hard to tell without my glasses. Let's just say we did.

The crowd was very mixed, from women who could have been my mother to young 'uns who could be my kids - but all suitably bogan. I said to my partner they should ask everyone without a tattoo to stand up - and he'd be all alone.

In honesty, the guys sharing the stage with Jimmy were probably in better shape and perhaps his choice of a white T shirt was not his best decision, but it didn't detract - he's still hot. I can't remember how long ago I developed a 'thing' for Jimmy but it must have been around 30 years ago. There was a guy I went to school with who had a bit of the 'Jimmy' about him. I caught up with him while at uni, at an agricultural college ball.... in the back of a Corolla...and well, yep, I do strangely feel that I've ticked that box! 

7 comments:

Lucy said...

Each of the members of Chisel have written at least 2 top ten hits. They're a very cool group...but I have to say Mossy takes the cake for me. A brilliant guitarist and can still sing so beautifully. MMW - did you love the Mossy/Barnsey harmonies? I was lucky (?) enough to see them in Tamworth last month...maybe not so lucky because not many Tamworth locals thought they were good enough to get their arses of their seats and dance. A shame, but it didn't detract from a good night of bogan aussie rock. LS

Jane Callister said...

I saw him too and thought they were fab and brought out my inner bogan. I really felt like a Bundy and Coke but ended up with bottled water but dancing in my seat. Sang to all the songs and I even spotted my husband Lee singing and dancing which is very unusual. I also was so surprised by their energy on at 9 and finished at 11.15! Not bad I thought. Brilliant.

motherwhoworks said...

It was great value. How close to the front were you Jane? Did you and Jimmy lock gazes and he and did (I think....)

motherwhoworks said...

What!!!?? How could you possibly stay still? That's remarkable. Please tell me they were at least singing along?? I now realise how much of my brain space is taken up with lyrics...no wonder I can't remember anything. MWWxx

Blackerj122 said...

Mmmmmmm!!!!!! Is it something to do that strange unexplainable attraction of a " bit of rough trade?" I mean that in the nicest possible way and having ' been there' too, where does it come from? Jx

motherwhoworks said...

I'm hearing you JB!!
And Denton - yes, you are absolutely right! My better half - who knows much more about music - explained the sucess of the band is much to do with them all being song writers - not just performers. And yes, he also told me Don Walker was the mastermind behind Kah San. I'm certainly not disputing any of their talent - and what amazing shape is Phil Small? He has the body of a 25 year old! I'm just pointing out my slightly weird crush on Jimmy. MWWxx

Denton said...

Sorry, but Jim is just the lead singer. The band is Don Walker's... The band is fantastic because of all of it's members. Have a deeper look :-)

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...