Monday 4 July 2011

Books

I love books. If I had more time, I’d read more of them, but as it happens, it takes me weeks to get through one. But I still plough on. There are some books that I’ve enjoyed so much, I need to own a copy – even if I’ve lent it to someone and then forgotten who (like Still Alice!) – I then have to buy another copy, just so I have it.

So it was with some care that I’ve spent far too long re-arranging the bookshelf (just one repository for books around home) according to the colour of their spine. They just look so much neater, don’t they? All lined up and 2cm back from the edge of shelf.  You can see the treadmill is right in front, so often as I’m running, I’m planning refinement – The God of Small Things should be closer to The Dressmaker – that kind of thing. Yes – perhaps that time should have been spent more productively – like reading!!










Mel at work recently lent me Chelsea Handler’s ‘Are You There Vodka? It’s me, Chelsea.’ So wrong. So funny. Well worth the time.

One of my colleagues at work had a parcel delivered to her by dispatch. ‘I wonder what this is?’ she pondered as she took the parcel and busied herself ripping in to it. Meanwhile, the guy from dispatch is standing there, staring at her in disbelief. I try and be subtle as I whisper over the partition ‘I think he’s waiting for you to say thank you…’
‘Oh god!’ she says, genuinely surprised, ‘Sorry Greg. Thank you.’ He wanders off with a shake of his head.
‘What’d you get?” I ask.
‘I’d forgotten I ordered this book,’ she said holding it up!!!




  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing that libraries and book shops don't adopt your method of arranging books; then we could just buy on colour (like cars). Sarcasim aside, they look great but quite frankly I don't give a toss what order mine are in. They just need to be cleared out and given to some other lucky reader.

If you turned the treadmill around the other way you could devote your mind to something else ...

Mother Who Works said...

Yes, I'm also surprised retailers don't adopt my ranging style - except of course Ikea!!! There is a trick in trying to remember what colour the book you're after is though - I confess! Mandy has asked is I now need to purchase new books according to what space is left on what coloured shelf.... possibly yes! MWWx

Mother of a Man-Child said...

You are SO anal MWW. My brother-in-law doesn't go for colour coding - his books are filed alphabetically!! One of you is clearly logical, and one only interested in the aesthetics of it. Whilst I am an organised person, for some reason it always makes me want to mess them up. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I'd get rid of the treadmill and read instead of running - oh and read with your youngest daughter too!!!!!!!

Mother Who Works said...

I would love nothing more than to get rid of the treadmill JB, but scales say 'NO!'. MWWx

Anonymous said...

On a serious note, I am so pleased that your home still has a bookcase and EVEN books. I fear that many homes now do not.Acknowledging my favourite leisure activity as reading and also embracing the NET I, like you MWW, NEED to own and handle some books. My most recent reads have included "Caleb's Crossing" by Geraldine Brookes and two non fiction titles " Good Living Street" and " The Hare With Amber Eyes" A most joyous part of retirement is the extra time I have for reading

Anonymous said...

Love the colour coordinated shelves!

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...