Thursday 16 February 2012

Stepping Off

We'll get back to the trip, but in the meanwhile, I have some news; after nearly 12 years at my current agency - a quarter of my life! - I resigned and finish tomorrow.

Yes, some would think it foolish to pack in my job in the face of an inevitable recession, but I have. And my god it's liberating!! I feel 10kg lighter and I've barely dropped a gram.

I'm on FebFast so no alcohol for the month (I did buy a pass out for my leaving lunch...) but that's been fine as I have been drunk on resignation!!! I just hope I'm still feeling as euphoric come June.

I think my status as Mother Who Works can stay though - even though I have no specific employment ahead of me, I'd best be cracking on and finding something that pays if I want to continue with those holidays. I'm not entirely sure what I will do, but never the less, I'm sure I'll be busy. (My colleague Brett suggested my theigh-high heeled boots have 'income' written all over them...thanks Brett.)

It's the end of an era - 12 years here and 25 in big agency land, but gut instinct tells me the time has come to move on.

So as a tribute to this amazing place, here's a few things I'm going to really miss:

  • The real cafe coffee machine that makes a latte as good as any you can buy
  • The man who comes to wash your car while it's parked in the car park (yes, we pay, but by god it's convenient)
  • All the very nice looking boys (in an appreciative way, not a creepy way!!!)
  • The vibrant and dynamic environment
  • Soula - who always bends over backwards to help me - professionally and personally
  • My crew - ladies, you know who you are
  • Lunch out - from pubs to fancy restaurants - I find my colleagues excellent company
  • George in despatch who brightens my mornings with his 'hello!'
  • Lena the cleaner who I see far too often as she starts cleaning - supposedly after we've left
  • James who'll make me a coffee when I've been rushing in back to back meetings and I really should be making my own!
  • The intellectual debate
  • The creative environment
  • The pride of telling people where I work - the brand of this place is awesome
  • Perhaps surprisingly, the CFO
  • And not surprisingly, my boss the CEO 
So, there you have it!

Stay tuned for the adventures ahead - and back to the trip shortly.

MWWx

10 comments:

Aysha said...

Congratulations and all the best!!!! Made me miss the place. Thanks for being an inspiring boss who's certainly made me a better manager now xx

Anonymous said...

They broke the mould when they made you! Miss you already

Motherwhoworks said...

Thanks Aysha and Annon - you're very kind. MWWxx

Blackerj122 said...

Best of luck in your new ventures. Will catch up after Feb fast. JBx

Carol Winfield said...

Congratulations Sue. Much happiness always!!!! Carol(Debsta's mum)

motherwhoworks said...

Heeeello Carol! How are you? Glamorous as ever I imagine. Many thanks for the well wishes - very kind of you. Hope you're also well and happy. Sxx

motherwhoworks said...

Look forward to it JB!

Mother of a Man-Child said...

Congratulations MWW. I'm proud of you!!! You won't look back, trust me.
I cannot believe that Lena the Cleaner is still there.....she's an institution! Send her my regards. See you soon.

motherwhoworks said...

I know.... I love Lena. She once gave mer a bottle of her amazing tomato sauce - her sugo - so I gave her a jar of my marmalade...we're kindred spirits - except perhaps for her faith in Jesus..... MWWxx

Lucyseward75 said...

Congratulations Sue! Will miss you out here at Springers! Luce X

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...