Friday 8 June 2018

Stuff

So easy to acquire - so hard to offload!

The renovation is finally underway, and the first task is to clear out the excess of 'stuff' (I'm using the term generously!) that's accumulated the last couple of decades.

It's highlighted how easy it is to buy - click a button, pop your details in and voila! Disposing? Not so simple.

I have stuff on eBay and Gumtree. I even Googled the legality of listing on both (you can). We have art and furniture and collectables and light fittings and god knows what else to get rid of. I didn't realise it was possible, but I actually maxed out with the value of what I was selling on eBay in a single month - so I started listing more crap on Geoff's account! We've become quite good at it - the app is the way to go.

Sass had a stall out the front last weekend. The mandarins and oranges from the trees in the garden, which we also had excess of, were quick to sell out. She managed to move a bit of junk, but geez, there's loads more.

Overwhelmed, I jumped online and booked a Camberwell market stall. We've culled CDs, DVDs, (do we really need any of either??), books, photo frames, video games, prints and goodness knows what else. Lucky it's a few weeks away as it'll give us time to gather even more.

Things have been priced to sell, and still, buyers want to screw you down. I listed a mahogany filing cabinet for $200 and got $160.
Do you know how much we paid for that? Geoff asks, affronted, every time I get excited that something else has sold. I tell him I don't want to know. But he often does. Oh well.

I'm even agreed to drop a chair to Werribee to a buyer this long weekend - just to get rid of it.

Everything that's staying is being stacked into the garage, and I'm sure at some stage, we'll be living in there too!

How long do you think this will take? I asked Geoff, the builder on this project.
I reckon Christmas, he replied. It didn't escape my attention that he didn't specify which one.

Where are we putting the fish tank? Geoff asked.
eBay? suggested Elle quietly - not really joking.

And here it is... on a bench in the garage.




3 comments:

WhatJaneSays said...

Impossible to get rid of stuff.
I used to be a big fan of site that offered things free - especially when moving office. We didn't really need to be compensated,but we couldn't take it with us.
You need to pay people to get rid of office furniture these days.

I tried so hard to buy my new shelves second hand, so as not to add to the mass of junk... but it was too expensive to pay couriers to transport fully assembled shelves. So sadly IKEA and self assembly it was.

I am terrible at keeping things. Not quite a hoarder, but hate throwing out perfectly good things.

Good luck with the Market stall, better thank a Garage sale at home.

Jane

Mother Who Works said...

We're using every available channel Jane! Things are moving - even if a little slow for my liking!! MWWx

Arjun Kapoor said...


Wow that was really a great read indeed. Expecting more such blogs in near future. Thanks for sharing.
Please help me suggest
The Best School in Perambur
The Best School in Vyasarpadi

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...