Sunday 4 August 2013

The Weapon

Check out this clutch. Isn't it just divine?  




I spotted it in a fancy-pants boutique in Chiang Mai and it was love at first sight. However, it was also rather expensive, so I dismissed it immediately. 

For the next 10 days, I thought about that bag. 'Just buy it!' Mandy, my business partner encouraged. (Hang on, we are in the same business aren't we??)

On the last morning I announced that I had almost convinced myself to buy it, but then realised because it's made of snake skin, I may have trouble getting it through customs. So that was that. But it wasn't. I got home and pined for that bag.

I emailed the boutique. No response. I emailed our Chiang Mai work contact. No response.

Next, I get a phone call from the contact - she's in the shop haggling with the owner who insists he also has a buyer from Australia. It takes them a few minutes and one phone call to confirm both buyers are me. But now we're have action! I transfer the money to my contact, (plus transfer fees, postage and the exchange rate has dropped, so yes, it's costing me more by the minute). She pops it in the post and let's me know it should be here in about a week. Yay!!!

But no. On Thursday I got a letter from customs regarding my overdue bag. They've seized it. And not because it's snake skin - I did in fact check that with the boutique owner who assured me that wasn't a problem. But because it's a weapon!! The handle is modelled on a knuckle duster which is an illegal item.


So I have filled in the appropriate paperwork and pleaded my case, even including a screen grab of all this season's knuckle duster handbags from Alexander McQueen through to high street chains. I've explained that I would never ruin a perfectly gorgeous clutch by ripping off the handle, that I'm a mother of four with no criminal record but I do have a Working With Children card. I confessed I may be guilty on the charge of being a fashion victim but I did stop short of sharing that the last time I punched someone would have been one of my older brothers when I was in primary school - and I swear that would have been provoked! Oh I want my bag!!! Please, keep it in your prayers.

And the name of the signing officer? Colin. Says it all really.


2 comments:

JayBee said...

Oh Colin, look kindly on our friend. Amen

Mother Who Works said...

Oh you make me laugh JayBee!!! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...