Wednesday 20 February 2013

Neil vs Paul

On Monday night Geoff, his best mate Charlie and I went to see Neil Finn and Paul Kelly in concert at The Palais. It was hot, it was a Monday, I was tired but is was amazing! Well, half of it was anyway. Which let to this discussion on the walk back to the car.

Me: Half of that was great! The other half was.. meh..
Boys: How can you say that?
Me: Paul Kelly should seriously not have agreed to that concert. He just embarrassed himself.
Boys: What?! He's a genius! Okay, he may not have such a great voice but his songs are legendary
Me: No they're not. How can you compare songs with lyrics about making gravy and falling asleep in the back of the car as a kid to Neil Finn's sublime poetry?
Boys: That 'gravy' song is about Christmas! It's gold. That will be the 'Silent Night' in 50 years time. You mark my words.
Me: I very much doubt that ....

Yes, Paul sang about the clock on the silo saying 11 degrees (which was ironic given it was 40 degrees in the hall) and we all know it was a Silver Top taxi that took him t her door, all very local and heartfelt and nostalgic but hardly comparable. Let me demonstrate:

Here's a few words from Paul:

Guess the brothers are driving down from Queensland and Stella's 
flying in from the coast 
They say it's gonna be a hundred degrees, even more maybe, but that 
won't stop the roast 

Who's gonna make the gravy now? 
I bet it won't taste the same 

Just add flour, salt, a little red wine and don't forget a dollop of 
tomato sauce for sweetness and that extra tang 


And a few from Neil:


I'm really close tonight
And i feel like I'm moving towards you
Been lying in the dark
But i think that I'm beginning to know you
Let it go
I'll be waiting when you call
And whenever i fall at your feet
You let your tears rain down on me
Whenever i touch your slow turning pain

And a short, very dodgy, sideways  clip I took, but is about the sounds anyway... (If you receive this post via email, you do need to pop onto my blog site to see the videos...)





Am I being harsh?? Come one people, defend Paul Kelly if you dare!







8 comments:

WhatJaneSays said...

Wrong, wrong, wrong... Paul Kelly is the peoples' poet. He writes from a working class perspective. How the world is from families who don't necessarily have romantic notions of personal relationships. He tunes into the the beauty of everyday situations and creates a little piece of magic.

From little things, big things grow.

I'm a huge fan of both of them!!

Mother Who Works said...

Well, I'm glad I asked! I can see what you're saying and is a new perspective - but I've always found him a tad depressive and 'music to slash your wrists to.' What are his uplifing songs?? I can't really recall any.....?? MWWxx

Kaye Holder said...

I'm taking my die hard fan husband to the concert on March18 in Sydney - birthday surprise - so thanks for that Sue, now I'm EXTRA looking forward to it!!

WhatJaneSays said...

Sue, I was just on Spotify and sent you links to 39 beautiful and mine, and To Her Door.
Other favourites, Dumb Things, From Little Things Big things Grow, Look So Fine Feel So Low.

But don't worry.. not everyone likes everything do they. So long as you enjoyed Neil Finn.

Mother Who Works said...

Oh I get a good does of Paul Kelly here at home! I find him more down that up - I can see the appeal - just not my preference. MWWx

Mother Who Works said...

You'll love it Kaye! MWWx

mrcurly said...

It wasnt a competition. They complemented each other beautifully. Thats very twisted to think Paul embarassed himself.

Mother Who Works said...

Yes mrcurly, I have been slapped for this - but it's just my opinion - as it's entirely your prerogative to accuse me of being twisted!! MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...